Hysterectomy in Four Corners, FL
Hysterectomy is a surgery performed by gynecologists, women's health doctors and other medical professionals. This surgery is designed to remove the uterus, and can be performed for a number of reasons. There are many types of hysterectomy surgery.
Deciding to receive a hysterectomy can be very challenging. Request more information today: call (863) 269-0589 or contact Dr. Carlos Gabriel online.
What is a Hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy refers to any surgical procedure created to remove the uterus. A part of the female reproductive system, the uterus is used to carry and develop a healthy child. There are many different medical problems that affect the uterus.
In these cases, depending on the severity of the issue, the uterus may need to be removed via hysterectomy. Some reasons why a hysterectomy may be performed include:
- Uterine fibroids: If fibroids, also known as uterine cysts, develop they can cause severe damage to the uterus. In cases where the fibroids are enlarged, hysterectomy may be recommended.
- Cervix cancer: Cancer that affects the cervix can easily spread to the uterus. If this is the case, a hysterectomy may be able to stop the spread.
- Uterine cancer: Similarly, if cancer is found in the uterus, a hysterectomy is typically the recommended option.
- Endometriosis: In this scenario, the uterine wall that lines the inside of the uterus begins to spread to the outside, causing heavy pain and possible bleeding.
- Uterine prolapse: During a prolapse, the pelvic floor ceases to hold up the pelvic organs, causing the uterus to push against the vagina. In cases of severe prolapse, surgery may be necessary.
- Prolonged periods: Excessive bleeding or spotting surrounding the menstrual period can be caused by uterine problems.
These are just a selection of the issues that may necessitate a hysterectomy. In most cases, hysterectomy surgery is the last resort, as it inhibits the ability to carry a child to term.
How does Hysterectomy Work?
Hysterectomies can be performed in a number of different ways. The exact steps of the procedure will vary depending on which version is performed. Some of the different types of hysterectomy include:
- Abdominal hysterectomy: This procedure is performed through the abdomen. This surgery is not limited by the size of the uterus, but features the longest surgical time and recovery period as a result. The most invasive form.
- Vaginal hysterectomy: This type of hysterectomy is performed through the vaginal canal. While this procedure is limited by the size of the uterus, it is the fastest procedure and features very little recovery time.
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy: With this less invasive hysterectomy, the uterus is removed laparoscopically, meaning it is removed in small pieces by utilizing special surgical tools.
- Robotic hysterectomy: The newest type of hysterectomy surgery, a robotic hysterectomy is performed similar to a laparoscopic procedure. It differs by utilizing special robotic instruments that allow more precision.
Only a medical professional can determine the best type of hysterectomy for any individual case.
Request More Information Today
While electing to receive a hysterectomy can seem difficult, living with the effects of women's health problems can be far more dangerous. Request more information about hysterectomy treatment today: call (863) 269-0589 or contact Dr. Carlos Gabriel online.
Bond Clinic Women's Center
Address4730 Exploration Ave
Lakeland, FL 33812
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm