Endometriosis Treatment in Sherman Oaks, CA
Endometriosis is a women's health disorder that involves the soft tissue known as endometrium, which normally lines the inside of the uterus. This condition can lead debilitating, even crippling pain. Those suffering from endometriosis are often unaware that they have been affected.
Need more information about endometriosis? Call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Symptoms of Endometriosis
The endometrium is the tissue that typically lines the interior of the uterus. During menstruation, the endometrium breaks down and bleeds, which is completely normal. But with a case of endometriosis, the endometrium tissue actually grows outside the uterus.
The tissue can extend and grow on the ovaries, bowel, pelvis and beyond. This can lead to many complications.
Symptoms of endometriosis include:
- Painful periods
- Pelvic pain
- Excessive menstrual bleeding
- Bleeding between periods
- Painful sex
- Pain when urinating
Due to the fluctuating nature of the endometrium, no two cases of endometriosis are the same. Some people experience just one of these symptoms, while others may deal with many of them.
Endometriosis can either be a minor condition or major one, depending on how much endometrium has spread to other parts of the body.
Causes of Endometriosis
Like many other women's health issues, such as uterine fibroids, the exact cause of endometriosis is not known. That being said, there are many contributing factors to the condition.
Some of the leading causes of endometriosis include:
- Retrograde menstruation (a condition in which menstrual blood flows back through the reproductive system)
- Immune system disorders
- Surgical scar transport (scar tissue)
- Embryonic cell growth
Of these scenarios, most endometriosis is caused by retrograde menstruation. Endometriosis is treatable with a variety of different methods.
Endometriosis treatment comes in many different forms. Types of endometriosis treatment include:
- Pain medication: Mild cases of endometriosis can be mitigated or managed with over-the-counter pain medications.
- Hormone therapy : Consistent delivery of hormones, either through contraceptives or hormone delivery medications can help relieve endometriosis pain
- Minor surgery: In cases where the endometriosis pain too severe to be mitigated, procedures are available that can help remove the displaced endometrium. This is often done laparscopically or abdominally to preserve as much of the uterus and ovaries as possible.
- Hysterectomy: In extreme cases of endometriosis, a hysterectomy may be necessary. The uterus, cervix and both ovaries are both removed during this surgery. Because of that, it is typically only used as a last resort.
The correct method of treatment depends on the root cause and the severity of the individual case of endometriosis.
Request More Information Today
Endometriosis can make life incredibly difficult, especially when accompanied by excessive bleeding or crippling pain. Request endometriosis treatment information today: call (424) 365-1800 or contact Dr. Jeremy Fischer online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm