Painful Periods (Dysmenorrhea) Treatment in Port Richey, FL
Menstruation is an important part of the female reproductive system. That being said, some women experience immense pain during their monthly period. Often referred to as painful periods or menstrual cramps, these issues are medically known as dysmenorrhea.
Request information about dysmenorrhea treatment today: call (727) 240-3424 or contact Maharajh Acupuncture & Herb Shoppe online.
Symptoms of Dysmenorrhea
Some amount of discomfort can be expected during the monthly period of menstruation, extreme dysmenorrhea can debilitating and may be a sign of a larger illness or condition.
The most common symptoms of dysmenorrhea include:
- Pain around the abdomen (menstrual cramps)
- Lower back pain
- Thigh pain
- Hot flashes
Not every woman suffering from dysmenorrhea experiences all of these symptoms. These issues may also vary in severity and intensity depending on the root cause of the pain.
Causes of Dysmenorrhea
There can be many different causes of dysmenorrhea and menstrual cramps. Mild, expected dysmenorrhea is created by uterus contractions, a necessary function of menstruation. More serious menstrual cramps, however, can have other causes.
Others causes of painful periods include:
- Uterine fibroids : With this condition, non-cancerous growths occur either inside, outside or in the wall of the uterus. These growths can press against the body and lead to period pain.
- Stenosis: During cervical stenosis, the opening of the cervix may be abnormally small and inhibit menstrual flow. This can lead to additional pressure and pain.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID): PID is a bacterial infection of the female reproductive organs. When untreated, it can lead to heavy amounts of menstrual cramping and period pain.
- Endometriosis : The endometrium, the lining of the uterus, spreads to other parts of the reproductive system with this condition. This can be incredibly painful and debilitating.
Determining the cause of dysmenorrhea can be done with a number of advanced methods. This process typically begins with a simple pelvic exam, to see if the dysmenorrhea may stem from a disease or illness. Other testing methods include:
- Computerized tomography
After the cause is discovered, treatment may begin. The type of treatment varies depending on the nature of the condition. For minor cases of menstrual cramps, simple over-the-counter pain medication may be successful. When the cause is hormonal in nature, low dose birth control may be recommended.
Surgery is typically a last resort option, but may be necessary in cases of endometriosis, uterine fibroids or stenosis.
Request More Information Today
Dysmenorrhea, also known as painful periods or menstrual cramps, can make life incredibly difficult. If you would like to know more about dysmenorrhea treatment, call (727) 240-3424 or contact Maharajh Acupuncture & Herb Shoppe online.
Maharajh Acupuncture & Herb Shoppe
Address5805 Main St
New Port Richey, FL 34652
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm