Urinary Incontinence Treatment for Women in Valley Village, CA
Loss of bladder control, or urinary incontinence, is a problem that many women experience as they age. Having the inability to control when you urinate or dealing with urinary leakage can cause embarrassment and make enjoying your life difficult.
There are many reasons you may be suffering from an over-active bladder (OAB) . If you're looking for help with urinary incontinence, please call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
What is Urinary Incontinence?
Urinary incontinence is the loss of bladder control. It can be gradual or sudden, and take many forms. In general, there are five types of urinary incontinence:
- Functional incontinence: Normal urine control, but difficulty “holding” or getting to the bathroom in time.
- Urge incontinence : A sudden, strong need to urinate immediately.
- Overflow incontinence : Small amounts of leakage caused by an overfilled bladder, along with strained urination.
- Stress incontinence : Sudden urination or urge to urinate caused by contracted muscles. This includes laughing, coughing or exercise.
- Mixed incontinence: Any combination of the other four types of incontinence.
Each of these types of urinary incontinence can cause embarrassment and interfere with your life.
What Causes Urinary Incontinence?
Though it's commonly associated with age, urinary incontinence is caused by more than growing old. Some minor conditions can cause temporary incontinence, such as urinary tract infection (UTI) or constipation. The loss of bladder control from these conditions will subside as the overlying problem is treated.
For persistent urinary incontinence, more troubling conditions may be the cause. These include:
If you've been diagnosed with any of these conditions and have noticed a decrease in bladder control, it may be related. If you're noticing other symptoms associated with these illnesses in addition to incontinence, contact a doctor immediately.
Can Urinary Incontinence Be Treated?
There are numerous treatment options for urinary incontinence, depending on the source and nature of your specific type. Your doctor will run tests to identify why you're losing bladder control. These tests can include pelvic ultrasounds, urodynamic tests and X-rays.
Your doctor will likely recommend lifestyle changes to start. Diet, exercise, smoking and alcohol can all have a major effect on bladder control. Stress exercises and behavior techniques may also be included in this step.
If it's decided that more in-depth treatment is needed, your options include:
- Surgery (bladder suspension, artificial urinary devices)
- Medications (duloxetine, imipramine)
- Hormones (topical estrogen, testosterone)
- Injections (platelet-rich plasma, stem cells)
Get Help Now
It may feel like urinary incontinence controls your life. Resume your favorite activities and free yourself from the embarrassment of an over-active bladder by seeking treatment. To get started with a urinary incontinence consultation, please call (424) 365-1800 or contact Vitality Integrative Medicine online.
Vitality Integrative Medicine
Address4849 Van Nuys Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Tue: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Wed: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Thu: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Fri: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Sat: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm